- Costa Rica overcome Solomon Islands
- Egypt move to top of Group A alongside Iraq
- SOL 6-11 CRC | EGY 8-3 PAN
THE DAY REPLAYED – Costa Rica and Egypt claimed their first victories of the Men’s Youth Olympic Futsal Tournament Buenos Aires 2018 on Tuesday, respectively defeating the Solomon Islands and Panama.
Led by the free-scoring Yosel Leon, Los Ticos came out on top by an 11-6 scoreline in their second Group B match, courtesy of a performance that was highly impressive overall but occasionally lacked a little depth.
The OFC representatives, meanwhile, exhibited determination and a fast, direct style, but their individual players were often guilty of trying to take on one man too many.
In the second half, the Argentinian public got right behind the Oceanian underdogs, singing “Let's go, Solo, let's go!”, in a show of consideration for their English-speaking guests.
Later, Egypt put the disappointment of allowing Argentina to snatch a late draw on Sunday behind them against Panama, but the 8-3 result did not reflect the testing nature of the encounter. In fact, at the beginning of the second half, two quick goals from Panamanian defender Daniel Arevalo suddenly reduced the deficit to 3-2.
Belal Elsayed (three goals) and Youssif Mohsen (two) eventually sealed the win for the Pharaohs, who now find themselves joint leaders of Group A with Iraq, with four points from two matches.
Did you know?
- The Egyptian players clearly enjoy celebrating their goals, and are not averse to indulging in choreographed routines. However, their piggyback celebration in the aftermath of their seventh goal incurred the wrath of their coach, Hesham Saleh, who felt that his charges were delaying the game unnecessarily. Hat-trick hero Belal Elsayed was quick to offer his apologies.
- For the first time in four FIFA-run futsal events (three FIFA Futsal World Cups and this Youth Olympic Futsal Tournament), the Solomon Islands managed to score more than four goals in a single match.
Slovakia-Argentina, Group A, Main Futsal Hall
Iraq-Egypt, Group A, Main Futsal Hall
Brazil-Iran, Group B, CeNARD Hall
Russia-Solomon Islands, Group B, CeNARD Hall
Argentina will be keen to pick up their first win against Slovakia and improve their position in the Group A standings. After losing their opening game, the Europeans are in the same boat. In the section’s other fixture, Iraq and Egypt go head-to-head in a mouth-watering top-of-the-table clash.
In Group B, Brazil are likely to be tested to the full by a confident Iran side, while Russia will need to get back to winning ways versus the Solomon Islands to remain in the hunt for a semi-final berth.